International Certificate of Competence (ICC) Introduction

The International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure of Craft or more usually stated as the International Certificate of Competence, or simply ICC is the recommended licence if you intend to cruise the waters of Europe.  It provides evidence to authorities that you are competent at handling a vessel, within a specified category, without the need for having a separate boat licence for each country you may visit. 

There are 5 categories under which the ICC are issued or endorsed, these are:

  1. Coastal waters
  2. Inland waterways
  3. Powerboats, either up to 10m or over 10m
  4. Sailing boats
  5. Personal watercraft

If you hold an ICC and intend to cruise the inland waterways of Europe (outside of the UK) you are advised to check that the correct category is stated on your licence, i.e. ’inland waters is endorsed as yes’.  If it is not, you need to undertake an assessment and pass a CEVNI examination before you are licenced to let the lines go on the inland waters!

Similarly, please ensure your current ICC is valid for the appropriate length of vessel, e.g. category 3 may state 'up to 10m' or no restriction.

The RYA are a recognised authority who issue the ICC for the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency.  We urge you to visit the RYA website for a full understanding of the ICC, its acceptance, validity and eligibility criteria.

Please note the ICC is valid for pleasure craft skippers only, it is not an acceptable licence for skippers of vessels carrying passengers (of any number) or cargo.

How do I get an ICC?

The Inland Waterways ICC requires two elements of competence:

  1. Practical skills at the helm of a boat with power

There are several qualifications and certificate routes eligible for this, the RYA website carries a full list.  The most popular route is through the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman’s course (unless of course the ICC also needs to be valid for Coastal waters).  If you have already mastered the practical skills (say in the UK where no licence is needed) you may feel it more appropriate to undergo an ICC assessment only.  Here at Bargecraft we no longer are able to offer an ICC assessment only; your route to the practical element of an ICC with us is a minimum two day RYA training RYA course.

  1. The theory of the rules and signs of Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI)

RYA training centres are authorised to provide a multiple-choice examination of CEVNI in English.  This can be done online or physically at a RYA Training Centre.

On completion of these two elements a recognised RYA Training Centre such as Bargecraft is able to endorse an ICC application form which the RYA will process and subsequently issue your ICC.

Who can get an ICC?

Most non-EU nationals are able to hold a UK ICC (with one or two exceptions).  The RYA criteria webpage sets out the up to date conditions of eligibility.

What length vessel is my ICC valid for?

The regulations in relation to acceptance and validity of the ICC is rather complex, but in short, the visited country controls what validity the ICC has on their waterways, therefore this varies.  You are strongly advised to check the acceptance of the ICC and the applicable length of vessels with the relevant authorities of any specific country you are interested in cruising.