What people have said about us during 2017...
The two days we had at the Bridges were extremely enjoyable, though very hard work taking and practicing boating and crossing the locks. Food was great, company excellent.
Mirna Thompson, Los Angeles, USA
Steve was a very organised and a very patient instructor and always calm with every situation. Jo, the food was always excellent.
I would like to spend more time manoeuvring the boat, a third day would be great for that. Thank you sooo much.
Greg Thompson, Los Angeles, USA
I would like to thank you for a wonderful time. It was a great learning experience - as well as a pleasure to meet the two of you and spend time with you. The three days went by far too quickly.
Jo, thank you for your delicious meals. I never thought I would ever say this - but I did not once miss going to a French restaurant. You have no idea how big a compliment it is for me to say that. Eating in France has always been a highlight for me.
Jonathan Shanks, Montreal, Canada
Don't change anything else! A superbly run course.
Kevin and Annette Smith, Switzerland
(What could be done better?') Nothing. Everything was perfect. Thank you.
Dennis and Virginia Downes, Montech, France
('What could be done better?') Nothing. It was perfect.
Dioneia Thomas, Sãu Paulo, Brazil
Very well thought out and delivered. Wonderful food and hospitality, clear and patient instruction. Overall very good work and lovely food and dogs. Dodgy politics though! 😉
Greg Patmore, Wigan, UK
Everything was exceptional - maybe just put back the 'very hot water' sign on the shower - but superb and will definitely spread the word.
Bridget Patmore, Wigan, UK
Nothing to improve - keep up the excellent work. Accommodation and food is excellent. Love the homely atmosphere. I came to the boat school unsure and not confident at all, I leave confident and happy that I'll be able to navigate the canals and look after our vessel properly. We love Rosie and Jimmy!
Deborah McKinstry, Victoria, Australia
A wonderful experience! A very in-depth course that would be beneficial to both the novice and experienced boater. Highly recommended for those curious about whether barging would suit their lifestyle.
Sandra Beard, British Columbia, Canada
Everything was superb - particularly the teaching style and onboard experience. If anything, I would have liked an extra day!
Karen Koeppler, Washington USA
Outstanding experience from all perspectives! Bargecraft Boat School provides an exemplary hands on learning experience for anyone eager to gain competency and confidence in safely operating a barge. Steve is a master teacher, clearly explaining the learning objectives, guiding your actual hands on activities and facilitating your success. Their instructional course is clearly organised and structured, providing each student the opportunity to apply knowledge and repeatedly practice skills. For example, we read about locks and then reviewed the information with Steve. Then during this two day course we actually negotiated 18 locks along a most scenic French canal.
Jo is the most delightful host you will find anywhere! Not only warm and friendly, she is an accomplished cook and baker as well. The meals and refreshments provided throughout the day were extraordinary. Jo made our stay onboard 'Somewhere' an unforgettable pleasure.
Along with all the above, the accommodation aboard 'Somewhere' exceeded our every expectation, this barge is a beauty! Our personal cabin was bright and roomy and provided a private bathroom with shower.
The Bargecraft Boat School team, Steve and Jo, offer a uniquely professional and enjoyable learning experience aboard their classic barge. For anyone interested in pursuing his or her dream of barging, this is THE place to do it.
Nancy Kipnis, Chicago USA
Steve and Jo are the perfect hosts. They created an ideal situation how to learn how to handle a barge on the French canals. They are amazing, Steve is an education pro - you learn under his patient guidance. 'Somewhere' is a wonderful boat for learning to cross locks safely. Jo is the most amazing Chef, all of the food was wonderful.This was just delightful. We learned an amazing amount of information about barging. This was a great course and experience with two wonderful kind 'folks'.
Jeffrey Kipnis, Chicago USA
All in all brilliant!
Charlie Stockford, England
I enjoyed the course, the stay. The food is fabulous. Steve is patient and a great instructor. I learned a lot. Will highly recommend the course to anybody thinking of getting a barge.
Ly Kondrot, Florida USA
- The entire two days were fabulous fun, highly instructive and a great experience. Many thanks to you both.
- Elizabeth Meech, Wales
- When asked 'What could be done better'? Nothing! Wonderful course/holiday - 11/10!
- Anthony Clarke, Wales
- Steve and Jo Bridges were referred to us by a fellow barge owner. They could not have been more helpful and professional through this process!
- John Teed, Canada
- In my role as a Trainer Development Officer with Thames Valley Police I have always found Steve to be a person of integrity and honesty. In his dealings with others he acts in a very professional manner. He is highly motivated, conscientious and meticulous in all activities he undertakes. When delivering training he is enthusiastic and animated. He has an open approachable style which enables him to fully engage with people, actively encouraging their participation.
- Leslie Payne, CTTLS teacher, Thames Valley Police
- Steve Bridges has always been a pleasure to work with. He is well-known as a consummate professional in his role as a driver trainer, always putting safety at the top of his agenda. He is respected as a highly trained, highly competent driver himself and he takes much satisfaction in passing on knowledge and experience to trainees and other professional trainers alike. Steve is an individual possessing great charm and modesty and is always able to lighten the day with a smile and a good story.
- Anna Imrie, RoSPA Training Officer. Advanced road driving assessor and coach. Freelance tack, 4X4 and dynamics instructor.