What is Bargecraft...      *** Our final season 2023 - Now fully booked ***

Bargecraft boat school is an accredited Royal Yachting Association (RYA) recognised Training Centre offering RYA courses for the Inland Waterways Helmsman or Crew accreditation and the subsequent International Certificate of Competence (ICC), inclusive of CEVNI examination. We offer a unique Barging Experience on the French canals.

For those with larger barges, we are now able to host l’Extension Grande Plaisance (EGP) with English speaking instructors through our collaboration with ENAM boat school.

Here at Bargecraft we are able to provide something a little different to a traditional boat school - a full barging experience on the beautiful inland waterways of the Canal de la Garonne, one of the two canals that make up the Canal Deux Mers in South West France.  We operate out of Buzet-sur-Baïse.

We invite you to stay onboard our 21m barge, 'Somewhere' as our guest.  'Somewhere' was our year round home from 2012 when we purchased her in South West France and cruised her back through France to Calais and across the channel to the UK - a winter berth on the Medway awaited us.  After a chilly winter in the UK we set off again in Spring 2013 across 'La Manche' and cruised her all the way back to South West France.  She was our home for eight years on the Canal Deux Mers, and is now our training vessel whilst also being a licenced 'bateau á passagers' or 'Hotel Barge'.  We provide a fully immersive learning experience to 'learn the ropes' and all your seamanship skills to earn your respective qualification whilst enjoying a taster of living afloat in Europe, with an insight into the French culture and, the often overlooked, community perspective.

As a recognised RYA Training Centre all our courses are in English so you don't have to worry about any language barriers whilst taking your particular RYA training course or assessment.

If you are not sure what qualification you will need please visit our 'Licences' page for the boating regulations.

Our 'ships dogs', Rosie and Jim are also waiting to welcome you aboard....




Bargecraft Ltd - UK Company number 10371278

Bargecraft Ltd - France - SIRET 834.470.791


The RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman's Course including CEVNI test ensuring you'll be awarded an ICC.  For eager crew members the RYA Inland Waterways Crewman's course.

The EGP also available through our collaboration with ENAM boat school.

The Barging Experience

A fully inclusive residential training course for couples or singles.

Treat yourself to the RYA inland waterways courses and achieve your ICC whilst staying as our guest aboard, Somewhere, for 1 to 4 nights, and experience the barging lifestyle with us.


We invite our guests to provide feedback at the end of their stay to ensure we meet expectations and look to improve our offering.  See the feedback we have received from them.